this blog will be used to explore personal journeys, the idea of place and travel, education, food, physical movement and mental fitness

i invite and appreciate your thoughts, ideas and additions

February 9, 2010

Get your running shoes on!

I want to begin promoting the River Bound trail run race series that is taking place this year at the Charlotte Whitewater Center, which besides the paddling has 14 miles of trail for running and mountain biking.

The series is a partnership of the Whitewater Center (where many Olympic paddlers and aspiring team members train) and the non-profit organization that I work for, The North Carolina Outward Bound School. This is a fund-raising event that will help North Carolina youth get scholarships to go on an Outward Bound course. Plus it offers a great way to train for a half marathon.

The series includes 4 races:

March 13th is a 5K
May 22nd is a 10k
July 17th is a 15k
September 25th is a Half Marathon

You can participate in one or all of the races. I think if you register to do all 4 you get a discounted rate.

This is a first time race series, so I can not personally vouch for how the run or trails will be since it hasn't been done before, but I can tell you that your participation will help make a difference in the lives of young people. Check out the link I have for more info on NC Outward Bound; we're good people!

Spread the word, get your friends involved and carpool your way out to Charlotte to participate.

Register Online at
www.usnwc.org

The paddling at the center is fun, kind of an amusement park-like experience. Some friends and I paddled there last summer in open canoes and got some funny looks from people (they mostly just see rafts and kayaks), but it was lots of fun. If you are interested in paddling there too, let me know. They also have nice climbing wall and a zip line.

Ben surfing


Keith, a lone open boater in a sea of kayaks and rafts


The "M" Wave


Video of a slalom team practice at whitewater center - check out the C1er, wish I was that smooth!

No comments: